Find Relief From Dry Eye Disease
If your eyes are continually feeling dry and gritty, you may be experiencing dry eye disease. Left untreated, dry eye disease can make it difficult to perform daily tasks. Your eyes may feel extremely uncomfortable, often to the point that it’s hard to focus or even keep them open.
However, all hope is not lost! Dry eye disease is often detected, diagnosed, and treated very easily. You can also purchase over-the-counter eye drops to keep your eyes feeling lubricated in the interim while you’re waiting for your appointment, but we recommend always asking your optometrist first.
If you’d like to learn more about dry eye disease and what we can do to treat it, please contact our office to book an appointment!
What is Dry Eye Disease?
Dry eye disease is a common condition that affects the tear film; the layer of tears on your eyes that keeps them feeling lubricated. Typically, dry eye disease is caused by a tear film that is out of balance.
Your tear film has 3 layers: oil, water, and mucus. If one layer is out of balance, your tears may be of low quality or can evaporate too quickly, leaving your eyes feeling dry.
Dry eye disease is also caused by several external factors, such as the normal ageing process, hormonal changes, certain medications, and dry or windy climates. Dry eyes can also develop as a symptom of underlying health problems, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Treating Dry Eye Disease
We’re proud to carry dry eye products from I-Med Pharma, a tried and true line of treatments to solve your dry eye symptoms. Your eye doctor may recommend one or more of these products to help alleviate your symptoms:
- I-Drop Pur—advanced relief for people with mild to moderate chronic dry eyes
- I-Drop Pur Gel—for those with moderate to severe chronic dry eye symptoms
- I-Drop MGD—to help relieve symptoms associated with evaporative dry eyes
- I-Defence—for relief of severe chronic dry eye symptoms
- I-Relief Hot & Cold Therapy Eye Mask with Thermabeads—provides immediate relief & promotes healthy oil production
- I-Lid ‘N Lash Wipes—reduces irritants around your eyes and enhances the effectiveness of tears
- I-Lid ‘N Lash Plus Wipes—cleans and hydrates eyes while removing debris and enhancing the effectiveness of tears
- I-Lid ‘N Lash HOCL Cleansing Spray—cleans and hydrates the eyelids and lashes
There are many more treatments for dry eye disease:
- Punctal plugs
- Specialty contact lenses
- Clearing blocked meibomian glands
- Nutritional supplements
- Lifestyle changes
During your appointment, we will discuss your options with you to ensure the treatment we recommend is best for you.
Risks of Dry Eye Disease
Your tear film exists for a reason: to keep your eyes moisturized. When your tears aren’t keeping your eyes lubricated, bacteria and debris can accumulate and cause complications that may affect your quality of life.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of dry eye disease, you should see your optometrist. Symptoms include:
- Itchy, gritty, burning eyes
- Redness or swelling
- Overly watery eyes
- Stringy mucus
- Light sensitivity
If you do not treat your dry eye disease, complications can occur and cause significant damage. These include:
- Corneal ulcer
- Conjunctivitis (“pink eye”)
- Inability to wear contact lenses
- Difficulty reading or driving
- Difficulty keeping your eyes open
At Trendz Optical, we have the resources and knowledge necessary to treat your dry eyes. Contact our office to book an appointment!
Where to Find Us
Find our clinic on Brentwood Boulevard in the Brentwood Professional Building.
Where to Park?
Find lots of parking in the large parking lot in front of the clinic.
Our Address102-48 Brentwood Boulevard
Sherwood Park, AB T8A 2H5
- Phone: 587.269.3318
Closed on Sundays and Statutory Holidays.
Our Eye Care Services
See Our Google Reviews
Thank you Janet for a fabulous fit and suggesting a blue film to be applied to my lenses to minimize eye strain working on a computer. It really does! Game Changer!
The staff is always so friendly and eager to help! My son and I enjoy going there
Very happy with the selection, and kind service my family has received! I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else for our eyewear.