Summer is here, and it’s time to enjoy some outdoor activities.
Here are 8 tips to remember to keep your eyes safe and healthy while enjoying the outdoors:
1) Wear sunglasses. It is so important to wear sunglasses outdoors all year long, but in the summer months we are outside longer, and the suns UV rays tend to be higher.
Sunglasses with 100% UVA and UVB are the best.
2) Avoid sunburned eyes: this is also known as photokeratitis and is extremely painful. This can happen when the sunlight shines off water, snow, sand or any other reflective surface. Polarized lenses are designed to reduce the glare from a reflective surface.
3) Keep your eyes moisturized. Heat, air-conditioning and wind can affect the tear film and dry out your eyes and cause them to burn.
4) Be careful wearing contact lenses while swimming. Harmful bacteria and micro organisms can get underneath the contact and cause infections. If you do wear contact lenses while swimming (as many of us do) it is very important to change your lenses often –
daily contact lenses are best for this.
5) Wear protection while working outdoors. Yard work, trimming trees, and home renovations can all cause eye injuries. Wearing protective eyewear can help reduce the risk.
6) Keep creams and chemicals out of your eyes such as sunscreen and bug spray. If it does happen, be sure to flush the eye with fresh water.
7) Eat healthy and drink lots of water.
Fruits, vegetables, fish, nuts and seeds are all good for us and our eyes. Our eyes need water to produce tears, and tears help to remove bacteria and dust particles from our eyes.
8) Keep up with regular eye care appointments.
Time for and eye exam? We have appointments available!